September is National Suicide Prevention Month &
September 10th–16th is National Suicide Prevention Week
This is a time to raise awareness about suicide and the resources available to help people in crisis.
In Maine, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death. Last year, in 2022, there were 251 deaths by suicide in the state. To put this into perspective, that’s more than five busses full of people lost to suicide in Maine alone. The highest rates of suicide are among young adults (ages 15-24) and middle-aged men. Do you know anyone effected by the loss of suicide?
There are many factors that can contribute to suicide, including mental health conditions, substance abuse, trauma, and social isolation. However, suicide is never the only option. Help is available! You are NOT alone. People can recover from suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
During National Suicide Prevention Week, there are many events and activities taking place in Maine to raise awareness about suicide prevention. These events include:
- Walks & Physical Activities for suicide prevention organizations
- Forums & Workshops to Educate People about suicide prevention
- Screenings of Films & Documentaries about suicide
- Art Exhibits & Performances to Raise Awareness about suicide prevention
If you or someone you know is in crisis, please reach out for help…
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
The Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: afsp.org
NAMI Maine’s Commitment to Suicide Prevention
NAMI Maine is dedicated to preventing suicide and providing support to those affected by suicide. The organization offers a variety of programs and services, including:
- NAMI Maine’s Helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Support Groups for people who have lost loved ones to suicide
- Education and Training Programs for professionals and the public
- Advocacy Work to raise awareness about suicide prevention
NAMI Maine is committed to making Maine a suicide-free state. If you or someone you know needs help, please CONTACT US today. Click Here for more information about NAMI Maine’s Suicide Prevention efforts.
How You Can Help
There are many things you can do to help prevent suicide in Maine. Here are a few ideas:
- Talk to your friends and family about suicide. Let them know that you are there for them and that you care
- Be a good listener. If someone is struggling, offer them a safe space to talk
- Encourage people to seek help if they are thinking about suicide
- Get involved in suicide prevention activities in your community
- Donate to suicide prevention organizations
Every little bit helps. By taking action to prevent suicide, we can save lives.
Together, We Can Make a Difference
Suicide is a complex issue, but it is one that we can address together. By raising awareness, providing support, and taking action, we can make Maine a suicide-free state.
Thank you for your commitment to suicide prevention. Connect with us & share your story!
*Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and X to see current mental health information and opportunities.